This delicious Tasmanian seafood dish, especially created to accompany the award-winning Brady’s Lookout Tasmanian Wild Cuvée Cider, is inspired by the cooking of northern Spain. I tried to capture the flavours of Asturias where cider is not only enjoyed in the glass but in their cuisine. Here I poach salmon and mussels in their Wild Cuvée Cider which adds a delicate fruity citrus flavour to the sauce. Serve as a starter or main dish. Simply accompany this dish with Aioli (garlic mayonnaise), fresh baguette and a glass of their vintage Wild Cuvée Cider. Delicioso!
INGREDIENTS Serves 4
4 125g-150g fillets of Tasmanian Atlantic Salmon or Ocean Trout skin on – George Town Seafood
12 fresh live Tasmanian mussels (3 per person)
100g finely sliced shallots – Laos Fresh Farm
4-6 sprigs thyme
12 black peppercorns
4 sprigs flat leaf parsley – Laos Fresh Farm
4 fresh or dry bay leaves
6-8cm piece dry red chilli seeds removed and broken into 8-12 pieces
4 slices lemon (no pips)
400ml Brady’s Lookout Wild Cuvée Cider
Salt for seasoning – Tasman Sea Salt
Spanish sweet paprika and finely chopped parsley to garnish
Aioli (garlic mayonnaise) and fresh baguette to serve – ManuBread
- Salt the fish fillets. Set aside on a plate.
- Place the shallot, thyme, peppercorns, parsley, bay, chilli, lemon slices and cider in a large high sided frypan on medium-high heat. Bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat to medium. Lay the fish fillets in the frypan.
- Add the mussels around the fish. Cover and cook on low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the mussels have opened and the fish is cooked.
- To serve, gently place the fish in shallow bowls. Set the mussels alongside the fish. If the poaching sauce is too liquid reduce it a little over medium heat. Then spoon the sauce over and around the fish and mussels with the shallots, herbs, spices and lemon.
- Place a generous dollop of Aioli on top of the fish. Garnish with sweet paprika and finely chopped parsley.
- Serve with fresh crunchy baguette.
- In keeping with the theme, why not toss together a cider vinegar dressed salad with shaved Manchego cheese and celebrate with a glass of award-winning Brady’s Lookout Tasmanian Wild Cuvée Cider!