- SOFTENED BUTTER, FOR SPREADING – Tasmanian Butter Co.
- 8 THICK SLICES BREAD – Apiece Sourdough bakery ManuBread Sandy’s Sourdough
- 1 CUP (340G) MARMALADE – Rocky Gardens
- 2 CUPS (500ML) MILK – Elgaar Farm
- 1 CUP (250ML) SINGLE (POURING) CREAM – Westhaven Dairy
- 3 EGGS – Mt Roland free range eggs
- ½ CUP (110G) CASTER (SUPERFINE) SUGAR
- 1 VANILLA BEAN, SPLIT AND SEEDS SCRAPED
- ¼ CUP (40G) CURRANTS
- 2 TABLESPOONS DEMERARA SUGAR
- CUSTARD, ICE-CREAM OR DOUBLE (THICK) CREAM, TO SERVE – Westhaven Dairy
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (320ºF). Butter the bread slices, spread half with marmalade and sandwich with remaining slices.
- Cut in half and arrange in 2 x 3 cup-capacity (750ml) ovenproof dishes. Place the milk, cream, eggs, caster sugar and vanilla bean and seeds in a bowl and whisk to combine. Stir in the currants and pour over the bread. Allow to soak for 1–2 minutes. Sprinkle over the Demerara sugar and place in a large deep baking dish. Add enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. Bake for 1 hour 5 minutes or until just set. Serve with custard. Serves 6.
Recipe sourced by Donna Hay