According to www.daysoftheyear.com, the tradition of hot mulled cider goes way back in history and the word ‘wassail’ is an old Anglo-Saxon word meaning good health. The wassail was a drink made of mulled ale, curdled cream, roasted apples, eggs, cloves, ginger, nutmeg and sugar.
- 1 x 750ml bottle Brady’s Lookout Premium Cuvee Cider
- 2 cups Spreyton Apple and Raspberry Juice (or similar)
- a spice pack that includes spices of your choice. We use a combination of cinnamon sticks, star anise, allspice berries, nutmeg and cloves. However you can be as spicy as you wish with your mix!
- For extra warmth you can add 1/4 cup of Calvados or another liqueur
- For extra sweetness you can add 1/4 cup sugar.
- Combine liquid and spices in a sauce pan, heat to medium – high heat.
- Once simmering, reduce to medium-low heat and continue to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Strain and serve
- Garnish with more fruit (such as orange slices).