Amongst the stresses for preparations of this years Christmas orders; Guy from Mount Gnomon shared his favourite recipe with Harvest. One he has made time and time again over the years and knows off by heart. A Stephanie Alexander classic with a Mount Gnomon Farm twist.
6.0kg saddleback breed ham on the bone – Mount Gnomon Farm
Zest and Juice of 1 orange or alternatively Guy suggests 1/2 cup orange marmalade – Vix Kitch
1/2 cup brown sugar – alternatively Guy Suggests using Honey – West-Bee Honey
1/2 cup dijon mustard
- Mix all of the glaze ingredients in to a thick paste.
2. Preheat the oven to 250C and prepare a large roasting tray by lining it with parchment paper.
3. Remove the skin from the ham and rub with 1/3 of the glaze. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
4. Take ham out of oven and score in a crisscross pattern. Brush with another 1/3 glaze.
5. Stud with cloves and place in the oven for another 10 minutes.
6. Brush remaining glaze onto the ham and bake for a further 10 minutes.
Guy’s Tip: To get a beautifully burnished glaze it’s important to have the oven preheated to its highest level, making sure the oven rack is in the right position in advance. Work quickly when pulling the ham out of the oven to re-glaze so you don’t lose temperature.