PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
- 1 egg – Mount Roland Free Range Eggs
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree – Steve’s Vegies
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed, melted coconut, or canola oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice – (Herbies are the only one I know to make it)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or alternatively cows milk – Elgaar Farm or Westhaven Dairy
- 1/3 cup very strong brewed coffee – Provenance coffee Co.
- 1 1/4 cups spelt or whole-wheat pastry flour – The Grain Family
Add pumpkin puree, grapeseed oil, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and whisk. Add almond milk or cows milk and coffee and stir once more.
Lastly, add flour and stir until just combined. Let batter rest for 5 minutes while preheating your waffle iron.
Once preheated, generously spray the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and spoon about 1/2 cup of the batter onto the centre of the iron and cook according to your machine’s instructions. I like to set mine to the darkest setting so it gets extra crispy.
Once done, remove and place on cooling rack to let the steam cool and crisp up a bit. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup. You could also mix your maple syrup with a bit of bold coffee or espresso for an extra special treat.