a classic combination of tomato, bread, EVOO and basil.
- 300g stale loaf of bread torn into pieces (Apiece, Manubread, Sandy’s Sourdough)
- 700g ripe mixed tomatoes, roughly chopped (Tamar Valley Hydroponics, Tasmanian Natural Garlic & Tomatoes)
- Sea salt (Tasman Sea Salt)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Red capsicums (Tamar Valley Hydroponics)
- Small red onion, peeled and very finely sliced (Laos Fresh Farm, Old School Farm, Steve’s Vegies, Seven Springs)
- Garlic (Laos Fresh Farm, Old School Farm, Steve’s Vegies, Seven Springs, Tasmanian Natural Garlic & Tomatoes)
- 60 ml Red wine vinegar
- 100 ml Extra virgin olive oil (Coronea Grove Olives, Lentara Grove, The Village Olive Grove)
A bunch of fresh basil (Thirlstane Gardens)
- Drizzle capsicums with olive oil and roast in pre-heated oven (200 deg) until skin blisters, about 20 minutes. Transfer to bowl and cover to steam for about 15 minutes. Peel and tear coarsely into bit sizes discarding skin and pips.
- Rub a garlic clove onto the bread and then tear the bread into rough pieces. Drizzle with olive oil and place under the grill until slightly charred.
- In the meantime place the roughly cut tomatoes in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the torn basil leaves, olive oil and vinegar. Toss the mixture together with your hands, add the capsicum, bread and a little more salt, pepper, vinegar or oil, if needed.