For the ice cream base: (Makes about 1 L)
- I cup cream (Elgaar Organic Farm)
- 2 cups milk (Elgaar Organic Farm)
- 2/3 cup raw sugar
- 4 egg yolks (Mt Roland Free Range Eggs)
- Heat cream and milk until warm and bubbles form around the edge (170), stirring occasionally to ensure a skin does not form.
- In the meantime beat four egg yolks until fluffy.
- Add sugar and whisk.
- Temper the yolks by slowly adding the warmed milk/cream.
- Return mixture to the heat and stir until forms a custard, covers a spoon (185).
- Place custard base in ice bath to chill quickly or overnight in the fridge.
The base is now ready to add your choice of fruit.
Add 500 g fruit, some water and acid – lime juice, raspberry vinegar, cassis – to taste
Heat until syrupy and then reduce for five minutes. Strain and allow to cool.
Stir into base and put into ice-cream machine to churn.
For alternative flavours:
Pip and roast cherries (Ferniehurst, Lees Orchard, Richmond Cherries) in medium heat oven until they are soft and gooey. Add to pan with some cassis and bring to boil until syrupy. Strain and allow to cool.
Pip and halve apricots (Penna Valley Apricots), brush with olive oil and roast in hot oven until soft and gooey. Add a little liquid – pommeau or white wine and bring to boil until syrupy. Strain and allow to cool
Stir your fruit syrup into the ice-cream base and put into ice-cream machine to churn.